You’ve decided that you want to go camping your agenda, but you’ve realized that your brand new smartphone won’t last for the entire time of your trip of three days. If you’re camping on the campsite, you’ll be extremely fortunate to have a power outlet available to utilize. However If you’re like the majority of campers, you won’t have access to facilities, even a phone charging point.
Luckily , we’re at a moment in time where you have a variety of options in regards to charging your phone when you are camping and without a source of power. If you plan it well it is possible to snap thousands of Instagram worthy pictures and keep connected with your family and friends for the entire camping journey.
5 ways to charge your phone while camping
Below, I’ve listed 5 alternatives I’ve used to make sure that my phone or laptop and tablets were completely charged during my entire journey.
Utilize Power of Solar Power of Solar
It is likely that you will be camping during the summer when you will have the greatest quantity of daytime and sun light available. Therefore, it makes sense to make use of it. Today, portable solar panels are incredibly compact and affordable, as well as much more effective than were.
Based on the solar portable panel you purchase, you could have one that connects directly to USB or be attached to your backpack or tent to charge it throughout all day. I prefer to put mine to my tent in the day, and keep it facing the sun throughout the day, to ensure it is charged at its maximum capacity.
A tip that I like to employ is to take a small solar panel to charge two the power bank I have (see further below) rather than connecting them directly to an electronic device. This means that if we are faced with an overcast day or we have rain, I have two power banks to keep me connected and charged.
SALE 7,160 Reviews Solar Charger 25000mAh Hiluckey Outside Portable Energy Bank equipped with four solar Panels Fast External Battery Pack that Charges Externally that has Two 2.1A Output USB compatible with Tablets, Smartphones and more.
- 25000mAh Powerful Capacity: Built-in lithium polymer battery with 25000mAh capacity It can power your smartphones 8-10 times, and tablets up to 3-4 times for approximately 9 consecutive days use per charge.
- Four Solar Panels: With four foldable high-efficiency solar panels that can deliver with a maximum input current of 1A in the sun that is 4 to 6 times faster than similar solar charging systems. You can also connect it to a the micro USB cables to recharge it.
- Dual USB 2.1A Output: Dual 2.1A USB ports allow you to charge two devices simultaneously by using 2.1A high-speed charging. Automatically detect your device’s current output for the best output and pair them.
- Made for outdoor use: Rugged construction resists water-proof, dust-proof and shockproof and has a built-in LED flashlight equipped with an SOS feature, great for emergency situations outdoors.
- What you get: 25000mAh portable solar charger with a micro USB cable User’s Manual.
$39.94 Purchase on Amazon
Rechargeable Power Banks
The most sought-after camping item that I always recommend to my clients is a brand-name solid, reliable, and huge capacitance power bank. It is common to recharge several devices simultaneously and still leave some battery. I first discovered these power banks while on vacation in Orlando together with my loved ones. I was aware that we would be taking pictures and using our phones throughout the day, so I was keen to ensure that we could be charged and stay connected.
When I returned home, I realized that I could easily carry one or two or more of them for a camping trip, and not have to limit my use of technology. A great idea is to use an energy bank with a portable solar panel so that once you’ve charged your devices, you can charge your power banks by using solar. This is a particularly good idea for those who want to camp in a light manner or trekking. I have many friends who make use of this combo when they go motorbike camping.
When it comes to selecting an portable power bank, you must always choose one that is branded. The cheaper and generic models I’ve tested don’t perform in the way they ought to usually break and are not designed to withstand the harsh conditions you’ll find yourself camping. I would recommend not less than a 10,000mAh energy bank to power a two-day camping trip.
Personally, I own a few RAVPower power bank that I depend on for camping and for vacations! My current choice currently comes from the RAVPower 26800mAh that comes with USB C.
50,869 reviews Anker Portable Charger 325 Power Bank (PowerCore Essential 20K) 20000mAh battery pack with Super-Speed PowerIQ Technology, the USB-C (Input Exclusively) compatible with iPhone, Samsung Galaxy, and More.
- Ultra-High Capacity Cell: The huge capacity of the cell is 20,000mAh. It can provide more than 5 charge on iPhone XS, almost 5 full charges for Samsung Galaxy S10, more than 4 charges for iPhone 11, and over 2 and a half charge for the iPad Mini 5.
- Advanced Charging Technology: Anker’s exclusive PowerIQ and VoltageBoost technology work together to provide the best charge for your devices. The trickle charging mode is the most efficient method to charge devices with low power.
- Simultaneous charging: Dual USB ports let you recharge two gadgets at at the same time. The USB-C port is not able to charge other devices.
- Multi-purpose Recharging: With two USB-C ports and a Micro USB input port, you can select the way you recharge. Recharging PowerCore using a 10W charger should take around 10.5 hours, whereas recharging using a 5W charger takes about 20 hours.
- What You get: Anker PowerCore Essential 20000 Micro USB cable travel pouch and welcome guide and a lifetime* $25,000 equipment warranty and friendly customer service. (USB-C cable, Lightning cable, and wall charger are not included.)
$58.99 Purchase on Amazon
Portable Battery Generator
If you’re planning to go for a trip with handful of people, or you simply wish to keep your devices powered in all times and even run the laptop to run for hours, then an lithium battery generator could be the best choice. It might sound absurd, but I’ve been at a camping location where one of them powered an electronic device and a laptop to watch football.
The larger battery generators weigh significantly more (around 6-10lbs dependent on the type and the model) than a typical portable power bank. However, they offer total flexibility by incorporating AC power outlets in the wall, ports that are 12 volts and a variety of USB connections.
I strongly recommend that a battery generator should only be used during an excursion to camp with only very little hiking or when you are at an area for camping that is central. It’s not ideal to carry one around for the entire day. I’ve been on excursions in which others taken one with them and I can know why they’re so extremely loved.
If you’re planning an overnight camping trip, then the generators you choose to use will likely last for the entire trip without issue. If you encounter an issue where you are low on power , it is possible to charge the generator with the solar panel you carry with you in the daytime. It will take between 6 and 10 hours to complete a charge. In reality , it’s no amount of time if you’re camping in the wild.
I am actually keeping my eyes at my eyes on the Jackery portable electric power source that will charge laptops, mobile devices drones, cameras, and drones and also charge a television. I’ve heard that many suffering from sleep apnea even used this model to power their CPAP while on a camping excursion. That’s impressive!
SALE 4,127 Reviews 200W Portable Power Station, FlashFish 40800mAh Solar Generator that has 110V AC Outlet, DC Ports and 3 USB Ports and Backup Battery Pack Power Generator for CPAP Outdoor Adventure Travel Emergency.
- Multiple Charging Outputs Give You Additional Options: Features that include AC/DC/ USB Outputs: 110 AC outlet (200W) 2 DC outputs and 2 QC 3.0 USB ports for quick charging and one USB port (2.4A automatic). You can charge your tablet, smartphone and laptop as well as drones, cameras, lights as well as fans, in-car appliances and CPAP machines anytime, anytime.KINDLY be aware that the POWER STATION IS NOT CHARGABLE and used at the SAME at the same time.
- High Performance and Handy Power Source: The 151Wh (40800mAh) The compact unit can be powerful enough to handle various demands for electricity outdoors for travel, home or camping. It can also be used as a backseat for long road trips.With the capacity of 4.07lb and a soft handles, we are able to pack it into our backpack or car, and carry it wherever we need power.
- Other Unique Design: 1)The standalone AC/DC provides easy operation when charging different devices;2)Mutifuction LCD display would show you the remaining energies/charge/discharge/AC output/DC output status.Ultra bright LCD screen let you know the statue of battery pack even no light source camping.
- Triple Rechargeable Modes, Efficient Solar Generator: The FlashFish power station is outfitted with a lithium battery which can be recharged with the 15-24 Volt solar panels (not supplied), AC wall adapter and car charger with efficiency. There is no memory effect, so there’s no need to concern about battery capacity loss
- MultiProtect Warranty and MultiProtect: The system provides complete protection against overvoltage, overcurrent, and over-temperature. It ensures your safety and that of your devices.Flashfish offers our loyal customers with a warranty of 12 months beginning from the day of purchase as well as helpful customer service.
$129.99 Purchase on Amazon
This is a possibility that will depend on the distance your camping site is from your vehicle.
I would imagine that today, any car owner with mobile phone has chargers in their vehicle. It could be USB or wireless charging or the traditional 5V port. The idea here is that you could leave your device charging within your car, without carrying any additional items.
I’m certain that this approach isn’t appropriate for all of you, however it’s worth being mentioned to the handful who are destined to be here. In the good old times, this was exactly what I needed to do to keep my cellphone charged when on the road.
Burn Wood to charge
In the wild, that you have wood and other materials which you can use to make an unintentional fire. So, why not change your stove for a fire such as the BioLite Campstone that lets you charge your smartphone. You can cook and charge your mobile phone while cooking using the raw materials you discover.
The stove will include the 2600mAh battery, which is charged with the heat generated by the stove. You can then use the battery to recharge your devices. It is completely clean energy that you can utilize almost anywhere and at any time.
1,102 Reviews BioLite CampStove 2 wood Burning with USB Charging for Camping Stove
- Turn fire into electricity! CampStove 2 generates 3 watts of usable power which is stored within its internal powerbank to allow USB chargers for LED light bulbs, phones and other gadgets. The rechargeable internal 2600 mAh battery is able to store excess power that can be used to charge devices even without a live flame.
- USB charge output has 50 percent more power than our prior CampStove 1, with updated thermoelectrics that produce more electricity from the fire. The the Smart LED Dashboard provides real-time feedback on the intensity of the fire, power output and setting of the fan speed.
- Internal jets are equipped with four speed settings for fans to circulate air to improve combustion and efficiency. They can boil 1 Liter of water 4.5 minutes
- Aluminum legs that are light weight fold up to provide a nested design and portability for backpacking, camping, or power outages
- FlexLight FlexLight is a compact flexible USB gooseneck that allows for fast, controlled lighting
$211.97 Purchase on Amazon
I will be writing an article on the BioLite Stove in the near future so be on the lookout for it!
5 Tips to make the battery last longer when camping
You now have several options for what to do to power your device during your next adventure, but what if you’re on this article and are already in the campground or campsite? Unfortunately, you’ll have find a place that has access to electricity, inquire at the reception of the campsite for the type of trip you are looking for or you must reduce your usage to ensure the battery’s life.
- Reduce the brightness of your screen to the lowest setting and especially when it starts becoming a bit darker.
- If you are certain that you will not have to use the device for couple of hours, you can turn it off completely
- To turn off vibrations It uses a surprising high amount of power for this feature.
- Are you at a campground that has limited coverage for data? Switch your phone’s data completely off, and then turn Aeroplane setting on.
- Do not leave your mobile outside in the sun as it’s battery will get degraded and not be able to keep a charge as long.
If you have suggestions for how one can ensure their phone is charged while camping, be sure to post a comment below. These suggestions are ones that I have personal experiences with during the years of camping. However, I’m sure there will be more options that I am not aware of.
Have fun and be sure to not go camping with your phone next time (I must try this! ).